It’s getting to that time of year again where we all turn to our trusty friend the soup to keep us warm and comforted in the colder months. Supermarkets provide a pretty good selection of soups but I can’t help but prefer a homemade one.
The other week I invested in a Food Flask, I can’t tell you how excited I was. No more taking soggy salads or couscous with me to work, I can now perk my day up with a comforting soup or even last nights dinner. Better yet, it stays piping hot from 7.30am until 1pm in my little flask. Can you tell I like this flask?
Now this soup isn’t going to win any beauty awards but it sure is tasty. Better yet it is full of flavour, healthy and good to your teeth. The perfect way to look after your insides with the added bonus of showing a difference on the outside. Win, win!
I was asked to take part in the SimplyHealth recipe competition, whereby I had to create a recipe using at least one of the specific ingredients that contain the essential nutrients and vitamins to maintain a healthy smile. I used two of the ingredients; carrots and red cabbage. You can find the other foods and what to avoid here.
You will need:
Tin of cannelloni beans
2 x carrots
1. Dice your onion, slice your carrots, chop your sweet potato and broccoli.
2. Heat some oil in a pan and brown off the onion.
3. Chuck in your broccoli, sweet potato, carrots and about 500ml of chicken stock. Bring to the boil and cook until all vegetables have softened.
4. Add half the tin of cannelloni beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
5. Chuck about 80% in a blender or food processor and blitz that veg. I like some chunky bits in my soup, that’s why I leave a little out of the blender.
6. Return your soup to the saucepan. Slice up some of your red cabbage and add to the saucepan as well as the remaining cannelloni beans, cooking for about 5-10 minutes.
7. Season with salt and pepper, add a splash of Tabasco if you like a little heat and serve.